10 CFR 50.72(a)(1)(i), Emergency Class Declaration
Emergency Class Declaration
(a) General requirements.
(1) Each nuclear power reactor licensee licensed under §§ 50.21(b) or 50.22 holding an operating license under this part or a combined license under part 52 of this chapter after the Commission makes the finding under § 52.103(g), shall notify the NRC Operations Center via the Emergency Notification System of:
- (i) The declaration of any of the Emergency Classes specified in the licensee's approved Emergency Plan; <a href="#N_2_5072" id="ftn2" title="footnote 2 hyperlink">2</a> or
- (ii) Those non-emergency events specified in paragraph (b) of this section that occurred within three years of the date of discovery.
(2) If the Emergency Notification System is inoperative, the licensee shall make the required notifications via commercial telephone service, other dedicated telephone system, or any other method which will ensure that a report is made as soon as practical to the NRC Operations Center.<a href="#N_3_5072" id="ftn3" title="footnote 3 hyperlink">3</a>
(3) The licensee shall notify the NRC immediately after notification of the appropriate State or local agencies and not later than one hour after the time the licensee declares one of the Emergency Classes.
(4) The licensee shall activate the Emergency Response Data System (ERDS) <a href="#N_4_5072" id="ftn4" title="footnote 4 hyperlink">4</a> as soon as possible but not later than one hour after declaring an Emergency Class of alert, site area emergency, or general emergency. The ERDS may also be activated by the licensee during emergency drills or exercises if the licensee's computer system has the capability to transmit the exercise data.
(5) When making a report under paragraph (a)(1) of this section, the licensee shall identify:
- (i) The Emergency Class declared; or
- (ii) Paragraph (b)(1), “One-hour reports,” paragraph (b)(2), “Four-hour reports,” or paragraph (b)(3), “Eight-hour reports,” as the paragraph of this section requiring notification of the non-emergency event.
|Site Area Emergency|