10 CFR 50.57, Issuance of Operating License.
Issuance of operating license.<a href="#N_1_5057" id="ftn1" title="footnote 1 hyperlink">1</a>
(a) Pursuant to § 50.56, an operating license may be issued by the Commission, up to the full term authorized by § 50.51, upon finding that:
- (1) Construction of the facility has been substantially completed, in conformity with the construction permit and the application as amended, the provisions of the Act, and the rules and regulations of the Commission; and
- (2) The facility will operate in conformity with the application as amended, the provisions of the Act, and the rules and regulations of the Commission; and
- (3) There is reasonable assurance (i) that the activities authorized by the operating license can be conducted without endangering the health and safety of the public, and (ii) that such activities will be conducted in compliance with the regulations in this chapter; and
- (4) The applicant is technically and financially qualified to engage in the activities authorized by the operating license in accordance with the regulations in this chapter. However, no finding of financial qualification is necessary for an electric utility applicant for an operating license for a utilization facility of the type described in § 50.21(b) or § 50.22.
- (5) The applicable provisions of Part 140 of this chapter have been satisfied; and
- (6) The issuance of the license will not be inimical to the common defense and security or to the health and safety of the public.
(b) Each operating license will include appropriate provisions with respect to any uncompleted items of construction and such limitations or conditions as are required to assure that operation during the period of the completion of such items will not endanger public health and safety.
(c) An applicant may, in a case where a hearing is held in connection with a pending proceeding under this section make a motion in writing, under this paragraph (c), for an operating license authorizing low-power testing (operation at not more than 1 percent of full power for the purpose of testing the facility), and further operations short of full power operation. Action on such a motion by the presiding officer shall be taken with due regard to the rights of the parties to the proceedings, including the right of any party to be heard to the extent that his contentions are relevant to the activity to be authorized. Before taking any action on such a motion that any party opposes, the presiding officer shall make findings on the matters specified in paragraph (a) of this section as to which there is a controversy, in the form of an initial decision with respect to the contested activity sought to be authorized. The Director of Nuclear Reactor Regulation will make findings on all other matters specified in paragraph (a) of this section. If no party opposes the motion, the presiding officer will issue an order in accordance with § 2.319(p) authorizing the Director of Nuclear Reactor Regulation to make appropriate findings on the matters specified in paragraph (a) of this section and to issue a license for the requested operation.
[[[FR::http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?dbname=1970_register&page=5318&position=1%7C35 FR 5318, Mar. 31, 1970]], as amended at [[FR::http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?dbname=1970_register&page=6644&position=1%7C35 FR 6644, Apr. 25, 1970]]; [[FR::http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?dbname=1972_register&page=11873&position=1%7C37 FR 11873, June 15, 1972]]; [[FR::http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?dbname=1972_register&page=15142&position=1%7C37 FR 15142, July 28, 1972]]; [[FR::http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?dbname=1984_register&page=35753&position=1%7C49 FR 35753, Sept. 12, 1984]]; [[FR::http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?dbname=1986_register&page=7765&position=1%7C51 FR 7765, Mar. 6, 1986]]; [[FR::http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getpage.cgi?dbname=2004_register&page=2275&position=1%7C69 FR 2275, Jan. 14, 2004]]] <a href="#ftn1" name="N_1_5057" title="footnote 1">1</a> The Commission may issue a provisional operating license pursuant to the regulations in this part in effect on March 30, 1970, for any facility for which a notice of hearing on an application for a provisional operating license or a notice of proposed issuance of a provisional operating license has been published on or before that date.